Trolls Outta Luckland
Trolls Outta Luckland - 0.0.4
Trolls Outta Luckland is a 360-degree arcade-style space shooter featuring danger, action, explosions, triumph and tragedy. And one handsome devil of a space hero.
Tested with: Python 2.5.4, Pygame 1.9.1.
- Added rotating images to sprites.
- Changed player ship steering dynamics.
- Mouse homes to ship at level start; homes to saved position if gameplay is interrupted (escape key).
- Windowed and fullscreen are choices now. Set in game_globals.py. Use F12 to toggle.
- Game speed derives from measured FPS. Classes' internal speed compensates.
- Enlarged SPACE*.png and Explode*.png sprite strips. <3 GIMP!
- New look for laser shots.
- Baddies fire directly at player if facing player.
- Sprite strip loader creates arbitrary number of rotated images and hitmasks. Hitmask generation very slow! Caching optimization implemented.
- New sign-on UI uses keyboard instead of mouse. Remembers last player. Added player picker, which selects from high score holders.
- Fixed: Stage stat updated immediately after killing last baddy. It now updates when next the level's herald posts.
- Fixed: Enemies warp when returning to standby formation.
- F12 toggles fullscreen.
- Mood music for Game._play(). Keys for: change track, mute, music volume, FX volume, and master volume. Settings are saved.
- EnemyFactory._make_fleet: optimized generation of enemy paths. Level loading speeded up greatly.
- SpriteSheetAnim performance. The game requires a lot of sprites, and a lot of hitmasks. Hitmask generation is extremely expensive. Ship needs 3 images * 360 rotations = 1080. Each Enemy needs 3 images * 90 = 270. Just two Enemy subclasses takes over 5 seconds to gen hitmasks, a big ugly hitch in gameplay. Did the following to minimize that:
- Pre-generate hitmasks as Python modules. Compile to .pyc. Ship takes 2 GB memory to compile, but it loads very fast.
- Ship construction moved up to program load.
click to view original size
Pygame.org account Comments
If you wish to leave a comment with your pygame.org account, please sign in first.
pygame.org welcomes all python game, art, music, sound, video and multimedia projects. If they use pygame or not.
Nov 13, 2014
Nov 11, 2014
Nov 10, 2014
Nov 9, 2014
Nov 6, 2014
Nov 4, 2014
Nov 3, 2014
Oct 28, 2014
Oct 21, 2014
Oct 16, 2014