Gummworld2 - 0.4.0
Gummworld2 is a pygame framework for a scrolling game, where the map is larger than the display. It emphasizes simplicity and performance.
Version 2.0.0 is released. New HUD, more speed, less junk.
- There is a new and much improved HUD.
- SpatialHash is much faster thanks to a challenge I made to DR0ID. :D
- Demos are tweaked where needed.
- world editor has been retired.
- PGU has been retired.
The full image of the screenshot collage is available in Gummworld2 Downloads (gw2_screenshots.png), as well as the individual screenshots used to make the collage.
::: About :::
Gummworld2 is a pygame framework for a scrolling game, where the map is larger than the display. It emphasizes simplicity and performance. You add the display elements and game logic, the engine provides the framework for timing, events, updates, and rendering.
Tiled helpers are included for elaborate mapping. However, Tiled is not required.
Compatible with Python 2.7 and 3.x.
The fast renderer BasicMapRenderer matured in v0.5.0. The Mana World's map01 blazes. It is a five layer map with many SRCALPHA tiles. See examples/07_tiled_tmw_renderer_complete.py. This is super fast. The demo examples/29_basic_map_renderer.py renders 8,000+ tiny tiles at 800 fps, and typically sluggish jobs like dynamic hex maps at very high speeds.
::: More :::
Also available in downloads (Gummworld2 required):
- gw2_skeleton, a la skellington. Get this for fast skeleton setup. Highly recommended. I've gotten a fair number of how-to questions that are solved by this module layout. (Note: this is not the same as game_skel, also available in downloads. game_skel is standalone, whereas gw2_skeleton is a drop-in skeleton specifically for Gummworld2.)
- The Mana World resources needed by some Gummworld2 examples (sorry, TMW is kept separate because it is GPL v2). This is just a drop-in data directory.