Ice Ice Penguin - 1.5.0-final
A pygame remake of the Sega Dreamcast game "Chu Chu Rocket" featuring Tux
A pygame remake of the Sega Dreamcast game "Chu Chu Rocket" featuring Tux. Basically it's multiplayer lemmings, seen from above. Supports keyboard and gamepads for up to four players.
Here are the instructions from the readme.txt
The default controls are set for the french keyboard (AZERTY), so you might need to change them using the in-game menu.
USE : [SPACE]
the FIELD CURSOR is controlled by the arrow keys
the CONTROL CURSOR is controlled by the PageUp and PageDown keys. Selection is done using RETURN
YELLOW and GREEN are setup to use PS3 controllers by default.
Special Events last for up to 10 seconds. Events that are not instantaneous (everything but WIPE OUT and SHUFFLE) will be overriden if a new event takes place during the 10 seconds.
PINGUIN MANIA : the spawn rate is increased by 4
BEAR MANIA : only bears and the occasional special penguins are spawned. The spawn rate is decreased by 4 SLOW DOWN : the penguins and bears move at half their normal speed SPEED UP : the penguins and bears move at twice their normal speed WIPE OUT : all arrows currently on the field are erased after two seconds. Arrows which should have been erase before that will stay for the full two seconds, arrows set after the event is launched have a standard lifetime. The Event takes place instantly and doesn't last the full 10 seconds. VIVA LAS VEGAS (SHUFFLE) : all the still available arrows in the lower control panel are replaced randomly. The effect is instantaneous. The Event takes place instantly and doesn't last the full 10 seconds.
while I intend to have integrate a level editor into the game, currently the only way to create new levels is by using a text editor.
Copy one of the files with the extension ".iip" in the directory "lvls", and open the file in your favourite text editor. You'll see something like this :
The dots (.) are empty fields.
'1','2','3' and '4' are the player's target. (1 is blue, 2 is red, 3 is yellow, 4 is green)
'S' are start igloos
'#' are walls Set your keyboard to REPLACING mode (tap the INSERT key once) and modify the level. You can add any comments you like after the last line of the actual level. When editing, be carefull not to have any trailing spaces on any lines of the level. (see the Known Issues) Save the file, rename it to anything you like, except "RANDOM.iip", and keep the extension .iip, and restart the game. It should now appear in the list of available level and will eventually appear when using the RANDOM level selector.
If you create cool levels you'd like to be included in future releases of Ice Ice Penguin or a possible level pack, you're welcome to mail them to me (email@example.com), stating that you give me permission to publish them with the game.
That's a Freeze, Folks! No more changes to the game itself from now on. (the online part had to be dropped due to performances issues. sorry:(1.5.0:
- added the BEAR MANIA and SHUFFLE events.
- added the PEGUIN MANIA and WIPE OUT events
- added the BULLET TIME and SUPERSONIC MADNESS events
- added the special event announcements
- special penguins are now spawned from time to time. They don't do anything so far, except looking slightly different
- removed some of the more annoying globals
- rendered better bears (they look like furry froggers:/
- changed the default controls for RED so that they are mapped to the cursor keys and RETURN so that people can instinctively navigate through the menu without having to check the keys in the readme first. sorry for the inconvenience.
- fixed a particularly nasty bug which deleted penguins (and bears) randomly.
- added ugly looking bears (they aren't THAT ugly looking normally, but seen from above they look like transformers :/
- added a blinking of the controlfield for the last 3 seconds before they disappear. (originally, this would be 1.0.0, but suffering from AFC right now .. Acute Feature-Creepinitis)
- added the timer warnings (1', 30", 3",2",1")
- added the Sudden Death warning and check
- added sounds for the timer warnings and the Sudden Death event
- zipped the archive instead of tar.gz, as windows user were complaining.
- modified the HOME environment check for windows (thanks to Ashy for that part)
- added support for JOY-HAT (again thanks to Ashy for helping with debugging)
- changed the menu controls so that the actual game controls are used instead of arbitrary keys
- returning from the scores page is now done either using ESCAPE or one of the USE keys/buttons
- added the scores
- fixed the lag-induced overshooting by penguins
- added the ability to change the level used
- added a virtual RANDOM level which chooses a randomly one of the available levels
- added the ability to have multiple startfields
- created a second level called "Big Roundabout", using multiple startfields
- added multi-lingual support for the menues (poorly, but it works)
- fixed a bug which crashed the game if more than one pinguin was hitting a target in the same frame (thanks to Ashy for finding and helping me debug this one)
- changed the rate of spawn to 250 millisecond (from 500), and move the variable initialization to the globals at the start
- modified loadLevel so that levels can now have arbitrary names.
- converted the music to ogg
- disabled the debug output
- initial release
Pygame.org account Comments
online 2018-05-04 10:13:36.254061Most web users have the connect online free operating system windows so you need to visit here and see fix no audio device for looking connections to bluetooth audio devices and wireless display in your system thanks for the information.
Jerkface 2018-05-19 07:43:52.189831Happy wheel, Such an entertaining website is free online happy wheels games, you guys need to play and share this game for free and online. Many many thanks for the most entertaining video happy wheels game Junction
Tom Grint 2018-11-19 02:02:43.197554It's multiplayer lemming. Thanks for the instructions. Log into 192.168.0.1 IP address and fix various router issues.