ReTux - 1.3.4
A platformer using the graphics of SuperTux.
Tux is just getting ready to go fishing when all of a sudden, he receives a message. The message states that his home, Icy Island, has been taken over by the Snow King, and a new Fish Tax will be imposed. Tux is furious! How dare the Snow King take away his fish?! Help Tux overthrow the Snow King and stop him from taking Tux's fish away!
ReTux is a 100% libre software and 100% libre culture action platformer loosely inspired by the Mario games, utilizing the art assets from the SuperTux project. The name "ReTux" is a play on the words "redux" and "Tux".
Although ReTux re-uses the art assets of SuperTux, no code from SuperTux is used in ReTux. The software portion of ReTux is entirely new, written in Python and based on the SGE Game Engine. ReTux also has several distinctions in its gameplay compared to both SuperTux and the Mario games, most of which are made apparent by watching these videos. Some particular distinctions of ReTux include:
- Play through 41 action-packed levels with some puzzle elements, taking place on the snow-covered Icy Island.
- Health is represented by hearts which are restored by collecting coins, making a wide variety of difficulties possible without making the game frustrating.
- Powers are obtained by using special items directly rather than by transforming. Some such items include fire flowers (which shoot fireballs), ice flowers (which shoot ice bullets), and lanterns (which light up dark areas).
- Your character's state is reset upon entering a new level, allowing more fine-tuned level design.
- Items are picked up automatically and either used or thrown by pressing the "action" key.
- Running is automatic. To walk, you can either hold the dedicated "sneak" key, or you can use an analog stick to finely control your speed.
- You will never be forced to backtrack further because you failed too many times. Lives are infinite and checkpoints never stop working.
- The game is fully accessible to colorblind and color deficient people.
- Feeling creative? You can create your own levels for ReTux using the Tiled map editor, and share them with your friends using the Import/Export options.
- The game is 100% libre software and 100% libre culture. The easy to read Python source code is fully available, and you have the liberty to do virtually whatever you want with it under the terms of the GNU GPL. You won't find any restrictive EULA or DRM here!
Pygame.org account Comments
Ariel Nowik 2016-02-21 06:54:55
cool! I played hours and hours the original supertTux in the past, Which features does this version feature?
Joao Serrachinha 2016-06-04 08:45:17
Cool. Let's make some levels and test the game.
Joao Serrachinha 2016-06-04 15:01:57
Hi, I'm participating in the level making contest. Anyone else!? It's a great game and the price is fair. And with ours new game levels the game is going to get better yet!
Sullivan 2016-06-10 11:16:52
I am going to participate in the level making contest!! It is a great idea!
Oliver 2016-06-11 09:55:17
I am going to participate in the level making contest.
BlueParrot86 2016-06-18 13:49:49
onpon4 2016-06-19 09:50:56
You can get it here:
Or, if you would like to participate in the level making contest, you can get it for free by announcing your participation here before tomorrow.
Aidan 2016-07-11 20:21:33
Hey onpon4, can you help me make a jumping function for a platformer that I'm making? Or at least give me some tips?
onpon4 2016-07-18 02:27:41
Generally, jumping is done by instantly setting the vertical speed of the object to a particular amount, and having the object constantly accelerate downward so that it falls down again.
ReTux takes this a bit further: it uses kinematic equations to predict what speed is needed to jump a certain height. But depending on the game, you might be fine just figuring this out through trial and error.