ReTux - 1.3.4
Julie Marchant (onpon4)
Tux is just getting ready to go fishing when all of a sudden, he receives a message. The message states that his home, Icy Island, has been taken over by the Snow King, and a new Fish Tax will be imposed. Tux is furious! How dare the Snow King take away his fish?! Help Tux overthrow the Snow King and stop him from taking Tux's fish away!
ReTux is a 100% libre software and 100% libre culture action platformer loosely inspired by the Mario games, utilizing the art assets from the SuperTux project. The name "ReTux" is a play on the words "redux" and "Tux".
Although ReTux re-uses the art assets of SuperTux, no code from SuperTux is used in ReTux. The software portion of ReTux is entirely new, written in Python and based on the SGE Game Engine. ReTux also has several distinctions in its gameplay compared to both SuperTux and the Mario games, most of which are made apparent by watching these videos. Some particular distinctions of ReTux include:
- Play through 41 action-packed levels with some puzzle elements, taking place on the snow-covered Icy Island.
- Health is represented by hearts which are restored by collecting coins, making a wide variety of difficulties possible without making the game frustrating.
- Powers are obtained by using special items directly rather than by transforming. Some such items include fire flowers (which shoot fireballs), ice flowers (which shoot ice bullets), and lanterns (which light up dark areas).
- Your character's state is reset upon entering a new level, allowing more fine-tuned level design.
- Items are picked up automatically and either used or thrown by pressing the "action" key.
- Running is automatic. To walk, you can either hold the dedicated "sneak" key, or you can use an analog stick to finely control your speed.
- You will never be forced to backtrack further because you failed too many times. Lives are infinite and checkpoints never stop working.
- The game is fully accessible to colorblind and color deficient people.
- Feeling creative? You can create your own levels for ReTux using the Tiled map editor, and share them with your friends using the Import/Export options.
- The game is 100% libre software and 100% libre culture. The easy to read Python source code is fully available, and you have the liberty to do virtually whatever you want with it under the terms of the GNU GPL. You won't find any restrictive EULA or DRM here!
The downloads listed here are encrypted 7z archives. You need a program such as 7-zip to extract them. You also need the password to decrypt them.
Get the password for the downloads by purchasing ReTux here:
click to view original size
|ReTux - 1.3.4 ||- Jan 31, 2017|
|ReTux - 1.3.3 ||- Nov 24, 2016|
|ReTux - 1.3.2 ||- Nov 5, 2016|
|ReTux - 1.2.1 ||- Oct 23, 2016|
|ReTux - 1.1.2 ||- Sep 29, 2016|
|ReTux - 1.1.1 ||- Sep 21, 2016|
|ReTux - 1.1 ||- Aug 3, 2016|
|ReTux - 1.0 ||- Jul 17, 2016|
|ReTux - 0.7 ||- Jun 17, 2016|
|ReTux - 0.6.1 ||- May 29, 2016|
|ReTux - 0.6 ||- May 22, 2016|
|ReTux - 0.5 ||- Apr 6, 2016|
|ReTux - 0.4 ||- Feb 14, 2016|
Pygame.org account Comments
If you wish to leave a comment with your pygame.org account, please sign in first.
pygame.org welcomes all python game, art, music, sound, video and multimedia projects. If they use pygame or not.
Feb 21, 2017
Jan 31, 2017
Jan 24, 2017
Jan 18, 2017
Jan 7, 2017
Dec 30, 2016
Dec 8, 2016
Nov 28, 2016
Nov 27, 2016